Dipton Community Beat UK Coal!Tagged as: coal energy environmentalism habitat open_cast
Neighbourhoods: dervent dipton durham leadgate pont
The long struggle against attempts to surface mine the Derwent Valley has scored a victory today.
Celebrations in Dipton Social Club tonight!
Inquiry opened on 25 October 2011
(Sitting days 25-28 October, 1-4 and 8-11 November 2011)
Site visits made on 9-10 and 23 November 2011
by J S Nixon BSc(Hons) DipTE CEng MICE MRPTI MCIHT
an Inspector appointed by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
Decision date: 23 February 2012
Appeal Ref: APP/X1355/A/11/2150277
Land adjacent to the A692 Road, known as Bradley, Near Leadgate,
Consett, County Durham, DH8 7SL.
• The appeal is made under section 78 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (the
Act) against a refusal to grant planning permission.
• The appeal is made by UK Coal Mining Ltd (UK Coal) against the decision of Durham
County Council (County Council).
• The application (Ref. No:1/2007/1049) dated 11 December 2007 was refused by notice
dated 18 February 2011.
• The development proposed is for the surface mining of coal with restoration of the site
to include woodland, species rich grassland and hay meadow, scrub, water features and
1. For the reasons given below, this appeal is dismissed.